RSI Small-Scale Proposal Call: Now Closed
The Spring 2021 Small-Scale Proposal application period is now closed.
RSI small-scale proposals (up to $120K in total direct costs over a period of two years) will prioritize proposals that address significant challenges and opportunities associated with climate change and the stewardship of natural resources.
Proposals may seek support for fundamentally new or existing research projects that are taking a new direction, including (but not limited to): research projects that might grow into larger research projects; proof-of-concept research that might enable follow-on federal funding; funds to support process engineering, scale-up or development of first lab prototype devices based on existing research results; or instrumentation that would support an individual or multiple research projects.
The call is limited to lead PIs who have their primary affiliation with one of Caltech's academic divisions and the ability to conduct research on campus. Only one application per lead PI is allowed.
To full proposal must include:
- A completed Application Form, including the following information:
- Lead PI name/affiliation/e-mail;
- Co-PI name(s)/affiliations(s)/e-mails(s);
- Proposal title;
- One-sentence proposal summary;
- Research initiative focus area;
- Statement of impact (500 words). The impact statement needs to describe a sustainability challenge that the proposal addresses, a description of how the research might impact that challenge, and an explanation of how the research outcomes might be translated to realize that impact. If at all possible, the application should identify a relevant metric for global sustainability (e.g., Gt CO2 emission reduction, cubic feet of water purified) that provides a quantitative analysis of the project's potential for impact over some specified time frame;
- If applicable, an explanation of leverage of internal/external non-financial resources (200 words);
- Team qualifications (500 words);
- Budget Justification (500 words);
- If applicable, an explanation of leverage of other financial resources (500 words).
- A Proposal Technical Narrative - 3 pages (11 pt font, 1 in margins, single-spaced), inclusive of figures and references.
- A completed RSI Proposal Budget Worksheet Spring 2021. The budgets can be uploaded by grants managers to the secure Caltech box folder. For any questions or issues with uploads or access, please contact the RSI grants manager.
- A signed Division Approval Form.
The Application Form, the Proposal Technical Narrative, and the signed Division Approval Form should be sent as e-mail attachments to email@example.com with copy to firstname.lastname@example.org. The Proposal Budget Worksheets must be uploaded into the secure Caltech box folder.
General queries may be submitted to email@example.com.